Wednesday, January 21, 2009

4Runner meets Honda

Hello once again from the great state of Texas. Have you ever heard the song "Empty Me" by Chris Sligh? Excellent song with great lyrics. I had the pleasure of helping someone out today, and this song came to mind afterwards.

I was running by my hospital to pick up a pizza I had left at work last night, parked my 4Runner outside the "EC" (Emergency Center as fondly called by LBJ), turned my hazard lights on, and was back outside within a matter of 60 seconds, not wanting to tick anyone off that I'd left my car in the ambulance bay. As I was approaching my car, I saw a well-dressed, 40ish black woman peering in the window of my car, and upon seeing me coming up, she asked me if that was my car. I answered "yes," and being me, became suspicious of her question and reasoning of it. Although she was well dressed and polite, LBJ Hospital is not in a safe place of town, so my antenna are always up. She then proceeded to ask if I could help her jump-start her car as she had been with a patient in the EC all day and was now trying to go home. I agreed, and drove my 4Runner around to where she was parked. Now this simple request should have in no way irritated me, but as I had other errands to run and wanting to get home before it got too late, I am ashamed that at first I did not want to help her. I saw her car was parked forward in the parking space with about a 8 ft section of grass and concrete sidewalk on the other end....and she had cars parked on either side of her....basically no way of jump-starting her car unless we got other people to help push it out of the spot. However....this is where I think God gave me a great idea and being the adventuresome person I am, I became excited about finding a way to jump-start her car. (new Honda Accord by the way) Remembering I now drive an SUV for the first time in my life, I backed my car up, and drove it up onto the sidewalk and grassy area with not much room to spare from touching other nearby cars. Second time in a week I'm thankful I have an SUV, my old Honda would not have been able... Without further problems, she and I attached the cables and restarted her car. She thanked me kindly, asked me my name, and we made small talk for a few minutes. As I left the parking lot to run the rest of my errands, I felt content. I felt happy I had the privilege of helping someone in need, even in just the simple task of jump-starting a car. On the way down the road, I heard from my quiet radio what I thought was the "Empty Me" song. As I turned up the volume, sure enough it was....God spoke to me tonight, in a small way.

Sure this isn't a grand story of God's moving dramatically in my heart, but to me it means just as much as those bigger stories of God's moving in people's lives. I'm just happy I answered God's call to help this woman. What touches from God I would have missed out on if I had ignored her request and said I was too busy at the moment?!

My story/lesson for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment